Monday, January 24, 2011

"Words create sentences; sentences create paragraphs; sometimes paragraphs quicken and begin to breathe."

Stephen King's On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft
Toolbox and Chapters 1-9 On Writing


The Toolbox

The Toolbox has - by far - been my favorite portion of this novel. Beginning with Uncle Oren's toolbox metaphor, King begins to describe the shelves of one's writing toolbox. He begins with a very encouraging thought to the toolbox theory:

"I want to suggest that to write to your best abilities, it behooves you to construct your own toolbox and then build up enough muscle so you can carry it with you. Then, instead of looking at a hard job and getting discouraged, you will perhaps seize the correct tool and get immediately to work.

He goes on to show common tools on the top shelf, one of which -- vocabulary. I loved how he showed examples from different excerpts of good AND bad no-so-good writing. I've always thought I needed to impress my audience with my vocabulary. This is not so. (Which I was thankful to hear, considering my vocab isn't up to par with some of my peers!)

"Remember that the basic rule of vocabulary is use the first word that comes to you mind, if it is appropriate and colorful."

Another common tool for the top shelf is grammar. I noticed that King referenced William Strunk's The Elements of Style, and I'm considering reading it. (Not only for pleasure or even to improve my writing...but it sounds like it may improve an English ACT score!)

"Grammar is not just a pain in the a**; it's the pole you grab to get your thoughts up on their feet and walking."

Ten favorites in this section that I never want to forget include:
1. People who use the phrase "That's so cool" should have to stand in the corner.
2. The timid fellow writes in passive voice.
3. The adverb is NOT your friend except in dialogue attribution.
4. Fear is the root of most bad writing.
5. Good writing is often about letting go of affectation.
6. You always add 's, even when the word
you're modifying ends in s. (Love it! Sydney Sanders's!)
7. Informal essays are, by and large, silly and insubstantial things.
8. Paragraphs are less structured in fiction - it's the beat instead of the actual melody.
9. It is possible to overuse the well-turned fragment.
10. Make the reader feel welcome - then, tell them your story.

"For the paragraph, not the sentence, is the basic unit of writing."

The Toolbox taught me to be bold and go with what I know.
---- "We are talking about tools and carpentry, about words and style . . . but as we move along, you'd do well to remember that we are also talking about magic."



Chapter 1-9 On Writing

In this section, King digs deep into how to actually write from his POV. He begins by beating around the bush but finally confessing that there are lots of bad writers. "Writers form themselves into the pyramid we see in all areas of human talent and human creativity." This is so true. People thrive on others . . . that's why we constantly compare ourselves to others better than us and others beneath us.

Two of King's theses on writing are:
  • Good writing consists of mastering the fundamentals (vocabulary, grammar, the elements of style) and then filling the third level of your toolbox with the right instruments.
  • While it is impossible to make a competent writer out of a bad writer, and while it is equally impossible to make a great writer out of a good one, it is possible, with lots of hard work, dedication, and timely help, to make a good writer out of a merely competent one.
I love how he describes what he knows -- fiction. He states that in order to be a writer, you must first learn to read a lot and write a lot. His metaphor to the muses of Greek mythology was comical as well as logical.

I learned much as he taught the learning writer about style:
"Reading is the creative center of a writer's life."

A funny portion was the writer's concerns in the world: rudeness should be the second-to-least of your concerns. While the least of all should be polite society and what it expects. Very clever. A man of constant ridicule, King knows much about this reality!

King gives guidelines on where to write, when to write, and how long to write. What I loved -- you can read anywhere, but this is not so with writing. You need an inspiring, serene atmosphere for writing. Yes -- this means no phone, no T.V.

I've noticed that King loves imagery. What fiction writer doesn't? But King painted a deep incription in my mind when he said: "write what you love to read." Therefore, this girl won't be writing sci-fi novels!

Plot fits in nowhere. I'm not going to lie, this struck me as odd. But as I read on -- King had a point. His fossil metaphor on uncovering your seashell or, for some, T-Rex was invigorating.

Story is honorable and trustworthy, whereas plot is shifty.

Another thought -- don't describe everything to your reader. Open the door to audience imagination. Wow. I never thought of it that way. I've had details, details, details shoved down my throat all of my life. And, while details are necessary, mystery and imagination connects the writer to the subject and the subject to the reader. (Ahem...the rhetorical triangle!)

--- "Description should begin in the writer's imagination but finish in the reader's." Hello!

Practice makes perfect, right? Not to King.
"A man's got to know his limitations," Clint Eastwood sighted, full of underlying wisdom. King made a good choice in adding this to convey his meaning.

This is just another example of the countless times King has stirred up and made me question myself on the building blocks of what I've been taught for so many years.

On Writing has shown me great aspects into the field of writing.
--- "Practice is invaluable and should feel good, not like practice at all. And that honesty is indispensable."

Transcribe what you hear and feel and convey that to your readers.

1 comment:

  1. You seem to have gleaned all the best parts of this section! I'm glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete